Welcome from Feng
My practice is founded on the belief that the secret to a successful life — especially when creating a new one — lies in balancing our bodies so that fertile ground can be created. This may involve removing blocks that make conception difficult.
Think of your body as a garden. Before planting anything, we first clear any debris and prepare the soil, making it rich and fertile so that tiny seeds can implant, receive nourishment and grow. Just as a beautiful garden needs suitable conditions and care, I believe it is important to create similar foundations in our bodies to enable life to develop.
Fertility and Acupuncture — A Personal View
You may already have done extensive research into ways of improving your chances of having a baby. I would like to share my own thoughts with you and am happy to answer any questions you may have.
Infertility, like other conditions, is a sign of the body being out of balance. Acupuncture adjusts the body’s life energy to restore balance, improving overall health which in turn improves the chances of pregnancy.
Many apparently unrelated factors may cause infertility. Stress can become self-perpetuating when conception repeatedly fails to happen. Medication taken for unrelated purposes (e.g. for depression, epilepsy, etc.) can affect fertility; even catching a simple cold may affect ovulation. Used as a holistic therapy, acupuncture can address various health issues at the same time, issues that may be disrupting your body’s natural balance and creating a state of infertility.
Every patient is individual and has special needs and circumstances. The principle underlying all Chinese medicine emphasises treating the body as a whole with tailored treatment viewed as essential. The expertise and wide-ranging medical experience of the practitioner you choose and your confidence in their approach is vital.
Here are some key, widely-available research findings:
- Acupuncture helps you to get pregnant naturally. Fertility focused acupuncture treatment has been found to help increase blood flow to the reproductive organs, balance hormone levels, regulate the menstrual cycle and help improve the lining of the uterus and the quality of eggs released. It can also improve sperm quality;
- Acupuncture supports IVF. Using acupuncture at the time of embryo implantation results in a significantly higher pregnancy rate;
- Acupuncture helps to promote a viable pregnancy. A study has shown you are 2.6 times more likely to have a successful pregnancy by having acupuncture in the first 12 weeks;
- Using acupuncture during your pregnancy also helps to treat related issues such as morning sickness, heartburn, blood pressure problems, muscular aches and joint pain control, and helping to avoid your baby being in the breech position when you go into labour.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can acupuncture help me to become pregnant?
Infertility, like other conditions, is a sign of the body being out of balance. Acupuncture adjusts the body’s life energy (chi or qi) to restore balance, improving overall health. This can only improve the chances of pregnancy.
- Can I have treatment throughout my menstrual cycle?
Yes. Acupuncture treatment is generally subtle and cumulative with long-lasting benefits. I recommend regular treatments throughout your cycle.
- Can I have IVF at the same time as acupuncture?
Yes. When a woman is healthier, the success rate of IVF rises. Many couples find the IVF process stressful, an area where acupuncture can help. While IVF has powerful effects on a woman’s hormones, sometimes taking them beyond desirable limits, acupuncture can help to regulate hormonal balance by influencing those control centres in the brain and nervous system.
- What if I’m having acupuncture and don’t realise I’m pregnant?
This is a natural concern. It is a similar issue as women avoiding particular foods and medicines while pregnant. Certain acupuncture procedures are not suitable during pregnancy, but many are safe.
- Is it safe?
Yes. In the hands of a licensed, experienced practitioner, acupuncture is an extremely safe treatment. I use sterile needles; they have a doweled end, and do not cut the skin in the way that injection needles do. Patients generally report a tingling sensation and, later, a feeling of relaxation.
- Is it successful?
Most evidence of success in improving fertility is anecdotal and I have many patients who have babies as proof, including myself! But success depends on a variety of factors, such as age, lifestyle and existing medical conditions. There is data that links stress to infertility or unsuccessful IVF treatments, an area where acupuncture is helpful.
Simple things you can do to boost your fertility
- Sleep well, eat well and relax;
- Reduce stress and learn to relax. Prolonged stress creates infertility; taking steps to restore fertility may add to your stress if you expect instant results. It’s hard to avoid daily stress but we can learn to respond differently when it presents itself. Try breathing exercises and meditation;
- Adopt a balanced diet and eat at regular times. You may want to use supplements too, but don’t go overboard. Balance is the key;
- Adopt a regular sleep pattern. Poor quality sleep disrupts your body’s balance; sleep is extremely important for fertility.